Before you begin stock up:
STEW, STEW, and STEW. This is the only effective way of satiating the Carb hungry pizza/ sandwich cravings of the first couple weeks. My favorites were of tuber base (rutabaga +turnip+parsnip+buffalo steak in a tomato base= Happy PaleoPerson.
- If you can get it unsalted and without sugar- Eat Jerky!!! Beef, Buffalo, Salmon, Deer, Rattlesnake, Human, whatever! (special prize may be awarded for most unusual jerky consumption)
- Canned Salmon (Costco’s is MUCH better thanTrader Joe’s Wild salmon), tuna (low sodium in water), sardines etc.
- Have lots of chicken, buffalo, fish and other lean meats around both frozen and fresh
Fruits and Vegetables
- Sacks of easy peeler oranges and little organic apples are your friends
- Bags of frozen broccoli and blueberries from TJ’s are lifesavers
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce
Nuts and seeds
- Walnuts, macadamias, cashews (raw and unsalted) they are expensive if you plow into them as meals but they are so calorically dense that a small handful at a time should suffice- you’re going to want tins of these at arm’s reach 24 hours/day
Quality fats and oils
- Walnut Oil
- Coconut Milk (Thai Kitchen has no preservatives)
- Coconut oil- excellent for curries, high heat tolerant
- Flax Seed Oil
- Olive oil- no salad is complete without tons of this on it
- Fish oil- .5-1 gram per day of DHA/EPA per 10 pounds body weight
This won’t be fun without a solid supply of spices- double check that you are well stocked
Curries, Bragg’s, Basil, Dill, Tumeric, Coriander, Nutmeg, etc, etc.
Coffee, Vodka and Tequila, wine- these are only 1 pointers so have them around for “cheat days” Green tea is not a point gainer so find a good strong one (Macha will rock your socks off)
Don’ts – Lock these up for the month
- Lock them up- Whole grain breads, pastas, cereals, Rice, millet, etc. etc.
- The only “Good Carb” in the month of August is either a fruit or a veggie
- All milks and cheeses are banished in August. Get used to espresso!
- As an alternative, try unsweetened almond milk.
- “Cookies?” “No.”
“Cakes then?” “No Ian, no cakes either.”
- Beans, legumes, black beans, peanuts, lentils, etc.
Processed Foods and Added Salt
- Ketchup, bacon, ribs, salted nuts, commercial salad dressings, salted canned meats
- Paleofood.com has recipes for low salt, home made kechup and salad dressings.